Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Opposites





I am a library assistant on the children's floor of my local library, and all of the children's literature I've been reading has started to shape the way I view things. After reading news stories about two different animals I thought, opposites! If there are opposites in the animal kingdom, Einstein, the world's smallest horse, and the giant Echizen jellyfish are it. 





Einstein weighs six pounds. The Echizen jellyfish weighs up to 660 pounds. Einstein is fuzzy and lives in New Hampshire. The Echizen is decidedly not fuzzy and lives off the coast of Japan. Einstein makes envokes "awws" in small children. The Echizen evokes fear in ships' captains. Mammal, invertebrate. Land, water.


They are two incredibly different creatures, but both amaze me. How can a horse be that small? And a jellyfish that big? Einstein is meek, delicate, and still a vulnerable baby. The Echizen is giant, powerful, and deadly. I can't help but see God in both animals. Animals have always awed me -- the cute ones and the less cuddly ones. That God created so many different creatures... it just overwhelms me. This may not be the best thing for someone who just started a blog, but sometimes it leaves me speechless.

0 comments: