Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

On Her Way


Hello blog. It's been a while. I've missed you. This fall was busy! I feel cliche saying that because aren't we all terribly busy all the time nowadays? But, alas, I was given extra hours at work this fall, and this semester of grad school was more challenging that last. These two things took up the majority of my time, so I took a break from some of the enjoyments in my life like blogging. I am continually learning how to prioritize and manage my time. Some sacrifices had to be made in the past few months, and I've missed my creative and social outlets.

I felt discouraged at times this fall. I worked at the library, I came home and did school work. I exercised and cooked easy healthy meals because I realized that I had let myself slip up to an unhealthy weight. I did make time to rest and spend time with family and friends, but not as much as I would have liked. There were times this fall when I felt like I was going nowhere. I like my job, but I'm a library assistant, not yet a librarian, so I am limited in what I can do. I also like school, but due to financial restrictions I have to go full time, and I felt that I would learn more and perform better if I didn't have to try to balance three classes and work and the rest of life. I was annoyed that I had let myself get into such unhealthy habits and wanted to loose the extra weight right now. My negative thoughts can easily spiral, leaving me feeling discouraged.

Ed Sutter gave a sermon at the Bridge (the modern worship service at my church - you should come!) this Sunday that was exactly what I had needed to hear. (Note: When I refer to someone's work, I like to link to their webpage, blog, etc., but Ed has no internet presence, so I will just provide you with this fantastic picture of him.)


Ed started his message with the music video for the band Ok Go's song "This Too Shall Pass."



Everything that happens in the video starts with one domino. Barrels, full-size cars, and a grown man are flying around all because one domino was knocked over. Ed encouraged us to remember that our small actions can lead to big ones. The small things we do today can have a great impact tomorrow. This made me think of Mother Theresa's quote, "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

I was already starting to feel better before I heard Ed's message. My work hours had returned to normal, my school semester was almost done, and I was seeing results in returning to a healthy weight. This message really helped me to reflect on the fall and put everything into perspective. I may not be able to do all that I would like to at the library, but I am certainly working towards it. The extra hours I put in show my commitment and give me opportunities to learn. I may not be able to give as much time to my studies as I would ideally like, but I am still highly committed, doing well in terms of grades, and most importantly, learning. I did not drop the extra weight right now, but I have made significant changes to my eating and exercising habits that I will carry with me beyond reaching my goal weight.

I found that one little domino can send me into a spiral of negative thoughts and discouragement, but a different domino can also lead to positive changes. I may not be doing great things, but I am giving my all to the small things.

"She wasn't where she had been. 
She wasn't where she was going
...but she was on her way." 
~ Jodi Hill

0 comments: