Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

*Please wear purple tomorrow, October 20, for Spirit Day. Show your support for gay teens, and remember the tragic loss gay teens to suicide.*



I was glad to read that a bit of progress has been made in overturning Don't Ask, Don't Tell. The Pentagon told military recruiters to accept openly gay applicants if they meet all of the other requirements. There is still a chance of this being overturned, but I have hope.

I can't understand why we would want to turn people away from serving the country simply because of their sexual orientation. I am not going to address my views on war or the military in general in this post, but I will say that I sure as heck don't want to serve in the military. If there are people who feel that calling, please let them. I understand that it would be a change. In those close quarters, it could be difficult to work next to someone who might be attracted to you in a way that you do not return. But don't men and women serve together? Surely there must be some unrequited feelings among heterosexuals in the military. The West Wing (my all-time favorite show, as you have probably figured out if you've read some of my other posts) also makes a good point through Admiral Fitzwallace. The quality of the video below is poor, so I also listed the text of what I think is the most important part.


MAJOR TATE
Sir, we’re not prejudiced toward homosexuals.

ADMIRAL FITZWALLACE
You just don’t want to see them serving in the Armed Forces?

MAJOR TATE
No sir, I don’t.

ADMIRAL FITZWALLACE
‘Cause they oppose a threat to unit discipline and cohesion.

MAJOR TATE
Yes sir.

ADMIRAL FITZWALLACE
That’s what I think too. I also think the military wasn’t designed to be an instrument of social change.

MAJOR TATE
Yes sir.

ADMIRAL FITZWALLACE
The problem with that is that what they were saying to me 50 years ago. Blacks shouldn’t serve with Whites. It would disrupt the unit. You know what? It did disrupt the unit. The unit got over it. The unit changed. I’m an admiral in the U.S. Navy and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff...Beat that with a stick.

I don't pretend to know a lot about the military. But I do know that all people deserve to be treated with honor and respect.

0 comments: