Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Taking My Own Advice


On Tuesday, I took my own advice.

I think it is important to take time in our busy lives to rest. I have loved ones who are extremely committed to their jobs and volunteer work, and I encourage them to step away from the workaholic mindset and take time to relax and unwind. This is often counter-cultural, but I think it is important for physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. God even thinks it is a good idea. The longest of the Ten Commandments is the fourth commandment, which says,
Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:8-11)
I think taking time to rest is important and I encourage those I love to do so. But this doesn't mean that I always take my own advice. I get wrapped up in work and grad school and church and family and friends and, and, and... These are good things, important things, but when all of my time is schedule, my brain starts to get fuzzy and my energy level goes down. I start to feel cranky and disconnected.

Early Monday evening I tried to figure out why I felt so tired and realized that I had a day free of work and school in at least 15 days. So on Tuesday, I took the day off. I read for pleasure. I took a nap. I did yoga. My husband came home from work late in the afternoon for a few hours before he had to go back for a meeting. This was when I started to feel guilty for taking the day off. I thought that if Jason worked all day, I should do something too or I'd seem like a waste. Fantastic husband that he is, he talked me out of it. I did tidy our desk with intentions a bigger cleaning project, but then I returned to my book instead. It was a wonderful day.

After my day of rest, I felt energized. I was more focused on my schoolwork and more alert when I was at work. I think taking a day away from work helped me to accomplish more in the days that followed. And I felt more relaxed, happy. Hopefully I'll continue to remember to take my own advice.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I shall continue to work on this... thanks for taking the time to post this Sarah! ~
kmi