Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Controversial Subject



From my journal on April 28, 2009

While stopped at a red light a fairly busy intersection on my way to work yesterday there were a dozen people with large signs that read "ABORTION IS MURDER" with graphic pictures of aborted fetuses. I was tempted to pull over and have a conversation with one of them.

"Hello. I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying... I am not a proponent of abortion. I don't think anyone is pro-abortion. I do feel that it is taking a life, and I have a hard time with any human extinguishing another human life. I worry about the government regulating a woman's health, though. And an even greater worry is that if the government were to make abortion illegal, women would still get abortions. Some would visit certified doctors who would perform the abortions safely though they were breaking the law. Many other women would end up having abortions in unsafe ways that would result in the deaths of mothers and children.

But even if I agree with you, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish right now. Do a large number of women with unwanted pregnancies drive this way at this time of day? Do theses signs disgust them into keeping the baby? I think it would be more effective to teach comprehensive sex education in schools, including how to have safe sex and what an abortion entails. Kids are going to have sex whether they are taught about it or not, so we should teach them how to be safe. I don't think many girls (or women for that matter) know what an abortion really involves. I am not opposed to sharing the graphic details, but I think a real conversation would make a greater impact than a large sign. Also - and this is huge - to truly eradicate abortions, we need to combat poverty. If people had greater resources (education as well as the financial means to purchase contraceptives), the abortion rate would decrease greatly.

Though I am saying these things, I strongly believe that sex is meant for marriage and not before. I think that parents have a responsibility to instill moral values in their children. They should talk openly about sex and why it is important to wait, instead of using fear tactics or simply avoiding the subject altogether.

So, those are some of my thoughts. I think it would be great if you could work to lower or even eliminate abortions, but I just don't think that standing here with these signs is going to change anything."

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you 110%. I take the bus to work everyday and it let's me off the bus about a block away from planned parenthood and I see the same gaudy pictures of mutilated and dismembered babies. Although I am not pro abortion I am not against it either if done for real reasons. I do also believe if these young women were better taught about sex and the reprocusions there of, they would make better decisions. It does bother me though that so many women are well informed about the actions they so hazardously partake in and decide to use abortion as a form of birth control. I do say if you are going to have sex try using contraceptives, ie: condoms, injections, pills, sponges. But the die hard pro-lifers and their greusome photos of aborted babies does nothing but terrify people who are more than likely going to have the procedure anyway.